Last modified: February 22, 2021
Orenda Cancer Community, owned and operated by Rebecca Durance Hine (collectively, “Orenda”, “we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to protecting the privacy of all Orenda members, and users of our products, programs, courses, and other services available online, through our website (“Website”).
- use our Website;
- submit personal information to us, including on a voluntary basis;
- apply for a job or to volunteer with us;
- authorize us to obtain personal information from other sources; and
- interact with us in any other way (by telephone, email, through social media and in person).
Orenda seeks to support people in an integrative approach to healing from cancer, complementing conventional treatments with alternative and natural ones as well as lifestyle changes.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information, whether factual or subjective, about an identifiable person. This includes information such as your name, address, telephone number, birth date, e-mail address, and financial information.
How is consent obtained?
From time to time, we may wish to use or disclose your personal information for new or additional purposes. We will obtain your consent to use or share your personal information for such new or additional purposes before doing so.
Information we collect about you and how we collect it
We do not collect information indiscriminately and will limit collection of information to that which is reasonable and necessary for the purposes it was collected or as authorized by law.
Often it is optional for you to provide your personal information, but other times some personal information is required to serve you. You may choose not to provide your personal information even in such cases, but that may result in our inability to serve you.
When members decide to register for an Orenda account (an “Account”) through our Website we require information from them such as their email address and name.
We may collect your information when you:
- correspond with us, including via email, conventional post, telephone, in-person or otherwise;
- provide us with feedback;
- enter a competition, challenge, promotion or survey that we may run from time to time on the Website, via email, or through a separate service or any other analogous means;
- report a problem or submit queries, concerns or comments regarding our programs and services as well as content on our Website;
- when you attend our events or programs, including registering and participating in our online courses and speaker series; and
- engage with us through social media websites or through features such as plug-ins or applications on our Website that integrate with social media sites, in order to provide you with a more personalized experience.
We may collect information from third parties to manage risk (including criminal and credit checks); collect outstanding debt; and to detect, prevent, manage, and investigate or protect against fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity.
Technical Usage Information
We do not collect personal information that can identify you when you use our Website. However, as you interact with our Website, we may automatically collect technical information about your equipment as well as usage actions and patterns. We collect this information by using cookies and other similar tracking technologies. We may also receive technical information about you if you visit other websites employing our cookies.
This information is used to improve the content of our Website and to enhance the user experience.
Collection Through Cookies
A cookie is a small data file that a website may write to your hard drive when you visit. A cookie file can contain information (such as a user ID) that the website can use to track the pages you have visited and to record your preferences for future visits.
You may block cookies by adjusting your Internet browser settings, although this may interfere with the functionality of our Website. For more information on blocking cookies or targeted advertising, visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada page at http://youradchoices.ca/choices/.
Collection Through Google Analytics
For what purpose do we use the information?
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us to:
- communicate with you, including to authenticate your identity and ensure that your information is correct and accurate;
- facilitate requests they you have made, including for electronic content (including newsletters and alerts);
- provide contest information and/or notification;
- address your customer service inquiries and complaints;
- administer and manage your Account;
- facilitate our services, including our online courses, seminars and speaker series;
- operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features of our Website;
- facilitate access to various interactive features found on our Website, such as access to our courses and blogs;
- facilitate access to forums or blogs associated with us on other platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube;
- keep you informed about our programs and services;
- understand and analyze the usage trends, behaviours, and preferences of our users and prospective users, to improve the way the Website works and looks, and to develop new features and functionality;
- research, analyze, develop, manage, protect and improve our programs and services, including our Website;
- manage our organization and day-to-day organizational and operational needs;
- establish and maintain communication with service providers;
- comply with our legal obligations; and
- fulfil other purposes related to any of the above.
De-identified, aggregate or anonymized information
Will we disclose the information collected from you?
We may disclose personal information collected from you to:
- our third-party service providers and contractors (e.g. to process credit card transactions and store information);
- satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request;
- detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues;
- enforce our rights; and
- as permitted or required by law.
Our third party service providers are prohibited from using any information for purposes other than internal support functions for us and have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of such information.
Retention and storage of your information
We retain personal information only for the amount of time needed to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected or as permitted by law, after which the personal information is destroyed or made anonymous.
Some of our service providers may store personal information in the United States or other countries and will be subject to the laws of the local jurisdiction. As a result, in certain circumstances, the United States and other foreign governments, courts, law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies may be entitled to access the personal information collected and held by us. In addition, if you are visiting our website from a country other than Canada, your communication through our website or any of our services may result in the transfer of information across international boundaries. By using our programs, Website, you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your information in Canada, United States and in any country to which we may transfer your information in the course of our operations.
What safeguards are in place to protect personal information?
Personal information under our control is protected by physical, organizational and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to us. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on our Website or App.
We do not knowingly collect, use or share personal information directly from children. Our Website and online resources are not directed at children. For any minor to access our programs, products and services, the parent or guardian of such child must contact us on their behalf.
If we determine upon collection that a user is under age, we will not use or maintain their personal information without the parent’s or guardian’s consent. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected personal information from a child, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to delete such information from our records.
Can I review my personal information?
If you would like to review your personal information or to update your personal information, please contact us in writing using any of the contact methods outlined below. Before information is released, however, we will require additional verification to verify your identity.
Mail: PO Box 57121 Jackson Square PO, Hamilton, ON, Canada, L8P 4W9
Please note that we may need to confirm your identity or request additional details in order to process your request.
We may modify this notice from time to time and will post the most current version online.